Monday, January 14, 2013

The Little Things

I've been using lists, and more recently Apps, to organize my house cleaning and I think I've found a schedule and a system that works.  And the most important part of that is staying on top of the small things.

I always know that the bathrooms need to be cleaned.  Or that the floors need to be swept and mopped. And those are fairly easy to remember, and quick to get done.  It's when the small things start to pile up that I REALLY start to feel overwhelmed.  So I've found that if I have to skip any task, I have to stay on top of the small things.  Today, my 'small tasks' include checking and restocking the toilet paper in each of the bathrooms and changing the hand towels.  Other small tasks include cutting the kids fingernails, wiping down the front of the cabinets in the kitchen and bathrooms, and quickly tidying up each room.  Sometimes THAT is as easy as running around the house and picking up all of the dishes, or laundry, and even just doing that makes a huge difference in how clean the house feels.

I'm glad that I've split up all my tasks into daily items and if I can stay on top of it all, my house is a lot easier to maintain.

What small tasks do you need to get done today?

4 comments:

  1. Good way to stay on top of it. You're right, the little things can add up to big things if you let them slide.
    Debbie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, all of my house cleaning tasks are BIG! There are always furballs floating around - I swear they hide when they see the vacuum come out and then pop back out as soon as I'm done! And I'm sure I can hear them laughing at me ;-) I'm on a pretty good bathroom cleaning schedule, but other than that I'm pretty lax about housecleaning. I should do what you're doing and try to take care of the little things on a regular basis. It's always a crazy mad cleaning rush when people are coming over!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do this too. I've almost considered having people over more, just so I have a big reason to keep the house cleaner!

      Delete
    2. I have children (and their parents) in my house Mon-Fri, it's amazing how clean my house is through the week. On weekends I tend to let things slide though.

      Delete