Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Let's Talk!

February 12th is 'Let's Talk' Day with Bell.

For every:
  • 1
    Text message sent*
  • 2
    Long distance call made*
  • 4
    Facebook share of our Bell Let's Talk image
Bell will donate 5¢ more to help fund mental health initiatives across Canada.

So as a Bell Customer, and someone who suffers from mental illness, I'm doing my part.

In the Spring of 2010, I started medication for mild-moderate depression.  I had studied psychology at school,  I knew what depression was.  But, as said with so many different topics, it's SO different when it's you.  Life just gets overwhelming sometimes, and that's no one's fault.  Due to a chemical imbalance, some people have a harder time dealing with that.  It's nothing that can be controlled by the sufferer.  You can't expect a diabetic to not take medication, just as someone who suffers from mental illness needs them to balance things out.

When I started the medication, I decided that I needed to tell my staff.  I was a manager at work and had many staff working for me, and I needed to be honest with them.  I told my district manager who knew what I was going through.  Along with many of my staff members.  I was shocked that so many others had been through what I was going through.  And honestly, it made it all so much easier.  Not only to have them be a tad more flexible to my daily emotions, but also to offer support.

And that's what 'Let's Talk' Day is all about.  The only thing harder than going through mental illness is going through it alone.  So don't.  Let's talk about it!

Head to my facebook page and share the Bell image.  Or tweet using #BellLetsTalk.  Or if you're a Bell customer, text all day long, and make some long distance calls!  Connect with some friends!  Let's talk!

No comments:

Post a Comment